Buying Guide for Quality Constructed Furniture
Slipcovered Furniture - Buying Guide
• Hardwood (poplar, maple, ash) and engineered hardwood. Kiln dried to prevent warping, mildew, and odors
• Precision-cut by computer. Best for environment – highest yield from each tree cut
• Sourced from local domestic suppliers compliant with US Forestry requirements for harvest and reforestation
• Sturdy. Joints are double doweled, high-pressure stapled, and wood glued, with corner blocks screwed into place.
• Glue is water-based and biodegradable
Springs, Webbing, Propex, Solid Seat – Lasting Support
• State-of-the-Art System - Arched 8-gauge steel serpentine springs (also called sinuous or zig-zag) Spaced a comfortable 3” apart, with double row at each end for extra support in corners
• Secured to front and back of frame with metal clips, Teflon coated to prevent squeaking from metal-on-metal contact
• Bound side to side with paper-wrapped crosswires for even weight absorption
• Made from 65% recycled metal. (Note: Mechanisms also made from 65% recycled metal.)
WEBBING: We use heavy-duty Italian furniture webbing made of polyester and elastic. It is spaced 2 to 3” side to side, and 3 to 5” front to back, and woven together, providing a sturdy seat platform with even distribution of weight. Primarily used on sectionals with thicker seat poly, and/or deeper seating, like Hunter and Jordan, or that need more even distribution of cushion crown, but a thinner profile. Webbing is attached using high pressure staples.
PROPEX: A non-stretch, high-durability sheet webbing used for bar and counter stools as well as ottomans. Propex is attached using high pressure staples. Interesting note: the Armand chair, because of its thin profile, uses a Propex seat and back.
SOLID SEAT: Solid frame construction used for dining chairs and bar and counter stools, as well as for some ottomans. Solid seat boards are screwed into the frame for rigidity and durability.
• Seat cushions: Ozone-friendly, non-carcinogenic High-Resiliency (HR) foam core containing 10% soy, a renewable natural resource. Foam does not release ozone-depleting CFCs into atmosphere during manufacturing. Foam core is 1.8 HR or higher, depending on density needed to create the most comfortable seat for each piece. Core is wrapped in 80% regenerated fibers. Lowers you gently but firmly to sitting position, then reshapes when you stand.
• Back Pillows include recycled fibers that were once plastic bottles.
• Foam padding used generously throughout the back and arms is earth-friendly and soy based.
• Each cushion is engineered specifically for each piece. Insures correct seat-to-back relationship
• Meets California 117 codes for flame retardancy
• Two types of cushions: Eco Luxe: Foam core wrapped in poly fiber an put in 100% cotton down-proof ticking (DPT) – makes “whoosh” when you sit down. Eco Down Blend: Fill is 10% down and 90% duck feathers. Hypo-allergenic. Foam core is zippered inside a 100%-cotton duvet-style casing, which keeps feathers in place. Small feathers may occasionally come through. This is normal; it shows cushions are breathing properly. Duvet cover unzips and can be refluffed by hand or in dryer for 10 minutes on Air Dry.