Coastal Home Blog
Design Tips: Small Coastal Living Room
The living room is where you spend most of your time, designing a small one can be difficult. How do you strike a balance between style and making the space feel as spacious as possible? What furniture should you use, and where does it go? Here are some great design tips for making the most of your space and furniture layout ideas for small living rooms.
1. Choose small scale furniture. Shop for small scale sofas, coastal love seats or setees that will fit your space and not over power it. Center the love seat on the wall, flanked by a pair of matching side tables and lamps. A large woven ottoman can double as a coffee table or an extra seating.
2. Multifunctional furniture. In a small living room, each piece of furniture should have a purpose. Consider using ottomans as a coffee table and extra seating, side tables that can be moved around as needed or stools that can be seats or tables.
3. Mirror Mirror on the wall. A small living room short on windows can feel a boxed in and small. Create a focal point, boost light and add depth all at once by hanging a great coastal mirror. If you can position the mirror across from a window it will reflect the view outside, giving the impression of an extra window.
4. Use your corners. Completely fill a corner, It may sound a bit counterintuitive but if you have a small corner living room space sometimes filling it with the perfect piece of furniture can actually make it feel bigger. Why? A coastal casual sectional is comfortable and able to seat many people but because it reads as just one piece, it helps the room feel uncluttered. A coastal sectional with clean lines works better in a small space than an overstuffed version.
5. Built in storage. Consider devoting one entire wall to storage. A floor-to-ceiling storage wall can be less intrusive in your space than a bunch of pieces with little storage. Less in more in the case of space.