Coastal Home Blog
You don't have to live by the sea to get a coastal look. With these 10 tips you will feel like you've got the ocean on your doorstep. Capture the essence of the seaside in any space with these coastal design and decorating ideas.
3. Driftwood. Beautiful weathered wood strewn along the beach, known as driftwood is seen as a treasure found on the beaches. Adding driftwood into your decor gives the design a coastal collected ambiance. This driftwood wall art is a great example of how to use it in your home.
4. Stripes. Blue and white stripes brighten any space while giving it a coastal design found in many beach houses decor. This blue and white stripe area rug is the perfect example of relaxed beach house design.
5. Seashell Decor. Seashells are easy to use in your design, they can be placed on a coffee table as an accent or displayed as a collection in a bookcase. There are so many ways to incorporate sea life decor into your home.
6. Coastal Lighting, From ship cargo lights to shell chandeliers, coastal lighting can add more than light to your design. A coastal chandelier can add interest to a room with beachy style.
7. Wicker Textures. Wicker gives a relaxed beach feel. Add in a wicker chair or a set of wicker baskets to give your home a relaxed beach house design.
8. Weathered Wood. Just like the textures wicker creates, weathered wood gives a collected and evolved design to your space. This weathered wood Hamptons coffee table is a great example.
9. Aqua Accents. There is something about the color aqua that evokes the feeling of cool ocean waters. Bringing in aqua to a space whether on your walls or as an accent will give the space an ocean side vibe.
10. Coastal Pillows. Soft accents like coastal throw pillows will give a comfy touch to your home while providing some extra seaside design.
How to live large with style in a small space.
1. Be creative! Be very creative, make sure you have a few daring elements to deliver big visual impact, while also creating the illusion of more space. Best trick to getting all of these in one is with a large coastal mirror.
3. Mix formal and casual. You never want your home to feel stuffy or pretentious. There is more authenticity in bringing different worlds together. Mix up your grandmother's antique accent chair with a beachy white slipcovered sofa.
4. Stay consistent. A house flows better (and seems roomier) when spaces share elements. Carry a style of lighting or a color through rooms, you can achieve this with coastal chandeliers that carry from the kitchen to the dining room.
5. Blur outside and In. “The backyard should function like an extension of the house, this will make the home feel larger and your living space bigger. Try using slipcover sofas outside to give your backyard a living room design.